Sunday, January 2, 2011

do. Good Stitches {a Charity Bee} January Blocks - Part 1

It's my month to design a quilt for the do. Good Stitches {a Charity Bee} and I've asked the group to help me with a special project.

I recently lost a friend who I met at work. Unbeknown to us, his friends and coworkers, my friend battled depression for much of his adult life. Sadly his battle ended at the beginning of December. It was shocking and devastating. I still tear up when I think about it.

In his honor and memory, I asked his family if I/we could make a quilt that could be used to raise money and awareness. His family has agreed and suggested we could make a quilt to be donated for the annual auction in the area my friend grew up to raise money for the local Mental Health Association in conjunction with Valley Hope.

We are using That Girl That Quilt's tutorial to create a wonky cross block quilt found here: www.thatgirlthatquilt.com/2010/09/cross-block-tutorial.html

My friend's favorite color was purple but he also liked green and blue. I played around with my stash and was able to make some nice looking blocks using solid purples, blues, and greens together.

Left: 1048 Brt. Peri and 1061 Candy Green
Right: 199 Cactus and 1383 Violet
Folded Left: 80 Mulberry and 1192 Lime
Folded Right: 1294 Plum and 1011 Bahama Blue

It means a lot to me that the girls in my bee were so willing to help me make a quilt in honor of my friend. Thank you ladies!

No comments: