Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Onesies for Baby Benjamin

I have the hardest time coming up with cute ideas for boys but my sister has two little boys (Coleman and Benjamin) so I thought I would try. I haven't made much for them yet like I have for baby Gracyn. I found these onesies at Walmart for $1.50 and thought they would be the perfect canvas for some baby boy themed appliques for Benjamin who is 10 months old.

Shirt 1: Wool Lobster Applique
My sister actually requested this one. I went with a more cutesy design rather than realistic. The red is a piece of wool blend fabric and I ran a satin stitch all the way around the edges.

Shirt 2: Batting Scrap Star Applique
This one is probably my least favorite. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to put on this one. I couldn't get past the little stars on the onesie! So I just did a shooting star design but to me it looks girly. The dark blue star is actually a bit of batting/backing scrap from one of the wedding attendant quilts! I did a satin stitch around the star (intentional) and the lighter blue pieces (unintentional because I forgot to change my thread). I think the satin stitch around the lighter blue pieces looks heavy but it was late and I wasn't thinking clearly...I would take it out but I think taking it out will probably make holes in the knit fabric and will look weird.

UPDATE: I did take this applique off. It did make holes but I think there's still hope. I am re-working it so that it's not so girly and so that you can't see any holes from the outside or inside. I'll update when I'm done. 

Shirt 3: Zoo Buddies Applique
I have no idea what print this is (if you know please feel free to leave it in the comment section) but I thought the little animals were cute. I got a scrap of this in a scrap pack I ordered on Etsy awhile back. I just cut around them so some of the brown background of the fabric would outline the colorful circles and ran a blanket stitch all the way around both. The monkey is appliqued on with red and the rhino is appliqued on with green.

Shirt 4: Elephant Applique
I free handed all of these and it is most apparent with this elephant. I think it looks pretty good all in all. I ran a straight stitch in a light blue thread all of the way around. It needs a little something though so I think I am going to ask a friend if she can embroider "Ee" in the middle of the elephant.

So there you go, my first attempt at machine applique for a little boy. What is your favorite boy sewing project?