Tuesday, March 1, 2011

NOVA Modern Quilt Guild Preemie Quilt 1

I just completed my first quilt top for the Robert Kaufman sponsored NOVA Modern Quilt Guild challenge. RK generously donated a charm pack to every Modern guild member for participating guilds. Our guild decided to use the charms to create preemie quilts which will be donated to the INOVA Fairfax Children's Hospital NICU. I love this challenge because it gives our guild the opportunity to give back to the community and lets me use Kona Solids. I love them so much I wrote a whole post on them awhile back!

I combined the 'cool' tones in the charm pack with some Kona white squares to make half square triangle which I arranged randomly. The HSTs are bordered in white, Kona Asparagus, and more white to get it to the right size. It's a very simple design but I think it really showcases how well these colors work together and how fun solids can be.

This project reminded me why I love chain piecing so much. I chained pieced practically everything! Here are some photos, start to finish:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The finished top is 34" x44". I am not sure what color I am going to use for the binding but I am thinking Kona Ash because it will match two of the HSTs in the top and also because I already have some in my stash. I plan to use the remaining charms (warm tones) for a second quilt top combined with more white a Kona Medium Gray. More pictures coming soon! 

Happy Quilting

No comments: