Sunday, July 10, 2011

Marshmallow Brochette QAL - Binding

Hello QALers,

This week we are binding our quilts! This is the last step in the QAL, a step I've been looking forward to reaching. Binding a quilt is the icing on the cake for me. All the piecing, all the basting, all the quilting finally comes together and becomes 'finished'! So exciting!

IMG_6166
the binding for May Angels Hold You Near

For my first 2 mini quilts I chose an orange binding with a geometric design. The first I chose myself, the second was picked by my cutie pie husband. What I love about both is that they are a small enough scale to really see the pattern and they add a pop of pattern to otherwise all solid quilts.

Girly version of the Marshmallow Brochette mini quilt:

NOVA Modern Quilt Guild - Preemie Challenge 1

NOVA Modern Quilt Guild - Preemie Challenge 1
I believe the binding is a Riley Blake print

Boyish version of the Marshmallow Brochette mini quilt:

NOVA Modern Quilt Guild - Preemie Challenge 1


NOVA Modern Quilt Guild - Preemie Challenge 1
Lizzy House Pearl Bracelet in Feather

I'd love to see what you've selected for your binding and your finished quilts! You can add your Marshmallow Brochette to the Threaded Mess flickr group anytime, now or later.

I hope you've enjoyed this quilt along. Thank you for putting up with me even though I was a little late some of the weeks. I've learned a lot from this first QAL that will help me do a better job in the future. I've got something really special up my sleeves so stick around. A little hint, it involves hexagons...

Hexagon Tutorial - Finished Basted Hexagon

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Sequana said...

I hardly believe it, but I'm still ON TIME! *S* I have the binding made, the quilt sides squared off - all set to zigzag around and then sew on the binding.

After that, I still do the last step by hand; I'm thinking of trying it by machine next time I have a smaller quilt to bind...just to see. People seem to be having good success with that.

I'm not so sure about hexes. ALTHO....I just won a GO!Baby...and that has a hex die. hmmmmmm