Friday, October 22, 2010

Favorite Fabric Stores

I haven't talked about fabric shopping in awhile so I figured it was time for an update. As my taste in fabric has developed, so have my choices in fabric stores. I started off shopping mostly at Hancocks-Paducah and Fabric Depot. Both are still great stores to shop at for more traditional prints and batiks, and both offer great discounts but for modern prints I've had to look elsewhere.

First up is Quilt Home. I love this store and can't say enough great things about it. They have a great selection of Anna Maria Horner, Amy Butler, Joel Dewberry, Heather Bailey, Erin McMorris, Heather Ross, and so many more great designers. They even carry designer specialty fabrics like laminate/oilcloth and pre-quilted.  I think I have bought a yard or two or three of almost every AMH print they carry to stash away for clothing and quilting projects.

I always take a peek at their daily specials section to see what's on sale. They offer free shipping on orders over $50! I never seem to have trouble filling up my cart to take advantage of that deal. I also love that they take the time to write a personal message on the invoice of each order. I definitely recommend signing up for their newsletter and reading it weekly. They always have great feature articles about designers or new lines and offer great discounts.They also do 2 great giveaways each newsletter!


I've also really enjoyed shopping at fabricworm (the are also on etsy here). I don't find super awesome deals at this shop like I do at Quilt Home but I do love their selection and their mixed bundles are so cute! I love the color combinations they come up with and the way they mix different lines together.
fabricworm is very good about blogging when they expect new lines to arrive or when out of stock items are back in. Unfortunately the first time I shopped with them, my package arrived opened and emptied. I am sure my beautiful Lizzy House Castle Peeps and orange scrap pack are stuck in Post Office limbo somewhere (makes me want to cry) unappreciated and lonely. Hopefully they will end up in a good home eventually! Happily, fabricworm was more than willing to re-cut and ship me my order again at no charge to me. That definitely made me want to shop with them again!

 
Last but not least, I am happy to announce that I found a local quilt shop I actually like and who actually likes me! The Artful Quilter in Burke, VA is filled with beautiful fabrics and friendly ladies just dying to know what you're working on and bend over backwards to help you. It's a little further out of my way than the shop I was going to but it's totally worth the extra 10 minutes. My most recent trip with fellow NOVA Modern Quilt Guild member Kate was very successful! We both brought home at least 5 yards each of Amy Butler Midwest Modern in aqua and cream (my all time favorite fabric) because it was on clearance and several other smaller cuts of various designs.

Happy Quilting!

No comments: