Monday, June 21, 2010

Weekend with the Nephews and Dads

I spent the weekend in Rocky Mount, Roanoke, and Smith Mountain Lake to spend time with my family. It was my nephew's 5th birthday and of course Father's Day weekend. We spent Saturday afternoon at the pool for Coleman's birthday party. He and his cousin Skylar's birthdays are only a few days apart so they had a joint birthday party. I was able to use our new flip video camera and water-tight case to take some shots of everyone playing in the pool. It was great getting to spend a little time with family and spend some time with all my dads. Happy Father's day to all you dads out there!

We spent that evening down at my parents lake house to have dinner. My step-dad Wayne had me work on a project for him to help with his sleep apnea. His doctor suggested that until he can be fitted with a CPAP that he sew a pocket onto the back of a t-shirt, put a tennis ball in it, and secure inside (button, velcro, snap, etc) to keep him from rolling onto his back at night. I took a tennis ball and estimated how big the pocket should be. I waaaayyyyy over estimated this figure but I guess if he ever needed to put a second ball in there or a larger ball he would have some room so I am not too worried about it. I took one of his t-shirts and traced a square along the bottom so I could use the hemmed edge as the top of my pocket. I then cut my rectangle out through both layers of the fabric and then used one of my rectangles as a template to cut from the rest of the shirt. I ended up getting 5 rectangles but I am sure I could have gotten 6 if I had adjusted the size of my template a little because I was just a little shy for the last rectangle.

I got some pictures of my sisters' quilts so I will put them up as soon as I can upload them which I think turned out pretty well despite my amateur attempts at artsy photos. I was also able to get Matt's brother and sister's quilts when I visited his parents on my way out of Roanoke on Sunday.

Leslie's Strata Flower Quilt:

Alissa's Split Rail Fence:

 Maura's Strata Squares Quilt:

 Mark's Strata Diamonds Quilt


Matt couldn't come with me because he had an early hockey game on Saturday. He scored a "hat trick" (3 goals in 1 game) so that was awesome but I missed him and I missed Lucy. It was good to come home to my Lovie and Boo!

Last but not least, I am working on a project for a family friend who is setting up a scholarship at Virginia Tech in honor of her husband who passed away a few years ago. One of the ways she is trying to raise money is through a silent auction so I am going to make something to donate. Any ideas of what I should do?

No comments: