Wednesday, May 18, 2011

do. Good Stitches {A Charity Bee} - "Hope" June Project

The end of this month and beginning of next are going to be crazy for me so I went ahead and posted the do. Good Stitches {A Charity Bee} Hope project for June lest I forget later. I figured I would go ahead and share it with you all as well in case you need some color inspiration for the Marshmallow Brochette QAL or are looking for a way to get involved in sewing/quilting for charity.

We're making a super girly quilt!

The color inspiration for this quilt is this collage I found online in Chartreuse and Raspberry:

and the block we will be making is the spiderweb block. I found this great tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman for Sew, Mama, Sew! for us to use (with her permission of course).
 
I want the blocks to be 12.5" unfinished so I've asked the members to cut their square to 13.75" (per instructions add 1.25" to the desired block size). Their strips will also need to be a bit longer than stated in the tutorial since we are making larger blocks (between 1.5” – 2.5” wide and up to about 10” long).

What fabrics you might ask?

I've asked everyone to start with a white square which will serve as the foundation for the strips and become the pointed star in the middle (same as tutorial). A bit off white is fine too.

A scrappy look definitely works well for this pattern so I am not too concerned about which specific prints they use. However, I have asked them to stay within the color story as much as possible (yellowish greens, berry pinks, and white/off white in varying saturations) and told them it's fine to mix in some coordinating solids too! For inspiration's sake here's a mosaic of some prints that work in this color story:

do. Good Stitches {A Charity Bee} "Hope" June Inspiration Fabrics 1
do. Good Stitches {A Charity Bee} "Hope" June Inspiration Fabrics 2

There are many, many other prints that will work and hopefully they already have some in their stash.

As always, I am leaving this project open to any of my readers who want to participate as well. Send me an email and I will give you my mailing address where you can send your blocks. The Hope group makes quilts benefiting Threading Hope which coordinates the donation of quilts to children and those in need in underprivileged countries like Hati and Malawi. If you would like to join the do. Good Stitches {A Charity Bee} check out the flickr page for info on how you can get involved in a new sewing circle.

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You inspiration board gave me a great excuse to make a trip to the fabric store last night. I picked up some prints that I think will be perfect for these blocks.