Friday, May 20, 2011

Inspired: Tangerine and Aqua

I really enjoyed finding fabrics that went with my Chartreuse and Raspberry color inspiration collage earlier this week so I've decided to try another one. If you all like them let me know and maybe I'll make it a regular thing here at Threaded Mess.

Today's inspiration comes from this collage in Tangerine and Aqua:
Yes, it's another wedding themed collage! My friend is getting married next March so that's my excuse :)

Pops of white is what keeps these two colors from being overpowering. The different saturations of both colors gives this palate interest and movement. Also adding interest and movement is the combination of tone on tones, geometrics, florals, stripes, and solids.

What fabrics you might ask? Here are a few I found that work with this palate and style (plus a lot of white of course):

Tangerine and Aqua Inspiration Fabrics 1
Tangerine and Aqua Inspiration Fabrics 2

You may or may not have noticed but all of the chartreuse and raspberry fabrics were from QuiltHome.com, one of the shops I frequent online. This week, all of the fabrics are from Hawthorne Threads, another favorite online shop. All of the above fabrics are currently available or will be available soon at Hawthorne Threads. Of course, there are many out of print (OOP) or hard to find (HTF) prints out there that work both with this palate and style too, but I have tried to stick to fabrics still readily available.

I am very excited about Joel Dewberry's new Heirloom fabric line coming out. The Citrine colorway works really well with this palate and style, and is featured above right in the middle of in the second grouping.

It won't take you long to find some great handmade creations on flickr in this colorway. Here are some of my favorites:

Tangerine and Aqua Flickr Projects

Have you made something in this colorway? Leave a comment with your link so we can all check it out :)

Happy Quilting

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this colorway. It's so gorgeous! I like this feature and think you should continue it. I think it's such an inspiration.

Cathy Hutton said...

Very Inspirational....I probably would not have thought of that combination....if you added lime for a little boy it would be awesome....now that's got me thinking!

Cindy said...

I've never liked orange much, but lately I'm drawn to this color combo. Love it! And love your examples!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

gorgeous - I love orange but often pair it with pinks or yellows - this is a combination I'll try in the future