Friday, July 2, 2010

Love Pinwheels - Part 1

I thought I would share a few pictures of what I have been up to tonight! I got my order from the Missouri Star Quilt Company which included an Amy Butler Love charm pack and Bella Solid white charm pack which I am going to use to make a pinwheel quilt. I know, I know...this is the same combination of fabrics used in the Missouri Star demo of the pinwheel technique but I llllooovvvvveeeeeddddd it sooooooo much and I am a sucker for Amy Butler fabrics anyways. I feel a bit unoriginal but I know I am going to love it when it's done and it will look beautiful in my girly guest room.

So here are some pictures but pay no attention to the fact that my threads don't match, that there's all sorts of junk under my extension table, or that there's a Chinese takeout menu under there...

Starting to sew the squares with the "right" sides together:


I sewed until I got a 1/4" from the edge, left my needle down, and turned the corner:


A couple of pictures of one of my squares sewn on all 4 sides. I probably didn't need to back stitch but it's habit:



I just realized that I didn't take any pictures while cutting but that's probably for the best because I am very accident prone. Here are my triangles:


I ironed all of the seams the same direction:


Here are my squares ready to be made into pinwheels:


I brought them to my sewing area and chain stitched them top to bottom:



The look a bit like flags when they are chained stitched like this:



I cut all of the now rectangles:


Finally, I stacked my rectangles so I can continue tomorrow. I will press them and get them ready to be sewn into pinwheel squares:


One last picture...My little "helper" was at it again. She kept trying to get under my table to lay down and I kept having to send her away because she was in the way of my pedal. She looks so pitiful!!


I've decided that I am going to take off the pink and purple border so I can add the second black border. I know it's a waste of thread and will be time consuming but I also know that I will love it that much more when it's all done.

No comments: