Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Someday I'll have Hate Comments Too!

Today I announced my blog to my facebook friends. I am hoping that this will lead to more people reading my blog and potentially more followers. I have to be honest though...I feel a bit exposed.

My fear is that someday, probably not anytime soon, my casual announcement to my facebook friends that I have a blog will lead to some random reader not liking something I have to say who will then leave a comment that will totally throw me off guard. Don't get me wrong...I would love to have readers and followers. I want you to do both! I want you to tell your friends and link to my pages and use the information I put up. Why else would I go to the trouble? But becoming that popular may also mean that I will potentially have "haters" too....I guess that's the price I can only hope I will pay.

For example: The Bitchy Sticher's Speaking of Crack post

If you read down to the comment section on that post you will see that Megan has reached a status level that has inevitably led to a "hater" comment. (see her comments from "Anonymous" but not "Anonymous Deborah")


I think "Anonymous" must have been suffering from a Sneaky Hate Spiral. It's hard for me to imagine any other explanation for her sudden outburst of negativity. Why that post? Why that blog? To paraphrase Allie Brosh, the Sneaky Hate Spiral is a series of unfortunate annoyances and incidents exceeding the maximum threshold someone can handle that culminates in an irrational, random outburst of anger.

(picture from Allie's post on Hyperbole and a Half)

Allie describes this condition in humorous detail on her blog making me LOL several times. She has long surpassed the status level necessary to start receiving hater comments and (for the most part I think) beyond the point of caring.

About this blog....

This blog is a glorified journal. Sometimes it's about quilting, sewing, and/or crafting. Sometimes it's not.

I'm not a professional writer and I don't claim to be. Is "crafter" a word? I think it is but the spelling checker tells me it's not. When I see letters in all caps, underlined, italicized, etc. I infer (if I am reading) or am attempting to convey (if I am writing) that word is meant to be "said" differently: loud, angry, excited, secretive, etc. The spelling checker may want me to type "OK" rather than "ok" but to me (and I would assume my generation)...."OK" and "ok" mean something different. We grew up using AOL instant messenger and text. We use what I like to call "geek speak":

LOL = laughing out loud (or if it's my Aunt Marta it means "lots of love" -- but only for her!)
ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing
QQ = someone crying
RTM = read the mannual

I could go on but I won't. 

I'm not a professional quilter. I have a million ideas in my head for my own artistic creations but little experience and few skills I can use to execute them. Until I have learned all I need to know about the basics, I am going to keep trying out tutorials and patterns created by others. I always try to give credit to the original creator or warn in advance that I am shooting from the hip, going it alone, making it up as I go, or some other way to say "I don't know what I am doing".

I am human and I make mistakes. I'd love to know about them so I can correct them. Thank you in advance.

I appreciate you reading my blog. I would love suggestions for improvement, comments, reassurance, anything! I would love to get to the point where I have readers/followers who interact with me through my blog and help me become a better quilter/blogger/person.

I am hoping that Matt and I can someday reach a point financially where I can stay home with our kids and have a small business on the side where I make.....something. I don't know what that will end up being but I know if I keep trying new things out I will find something I am great at. When I do figure out what that something is, you will most certainly hear about it from me on my blog! I consider this glorified journal to be a long term investment in a potential outlet for marketing myself/my products. You've been warned.

To wrap things up because I know this post is getting really long....I am not so vain that I expect everyone will like me and what I have to say, but I am naive and sensitive enough to hope that you will so if you don't, break it to me gently please! I would like to avoid Sneaky Hate Spiral comments if at all possible.

And become a follower of my blog....That would make me really happy.

No comments: